Talya Eliav (1985) is a composer and performer living and working in Israel. She started her musical path as a child, playing piano and singing. She has been recording and performing her music since teenage. At 28 she began her academic journey and developed her composition. Her love for teaching music and vocals led her to conducting youth chamber ensembles and choirs. She is deeply interested in composing for voice and in text-music relations. These days, in the context of her academic thesis, she researches rap, chanson, and speech in music.
2018 – Master’s degree in Music Composition, University of Haifa
2016 – Bachelor’s degree in Music and Literature, University of Haifa
- Composition: Eitan Steinberg, Oded Zahavi, Arik Shapira, Sarah Nemtsov (2012-2018 Haifa University); John Bostock (2001-2003 Emek Yizrael Music Center);
- Analysis and Theory: Yuval Shaked, Abigail Wood, Inbal Gutter (2012-2018 Haifa University);
- Master classes with Composer Lucia Ronchetti and Cellist Lucas Fels (2017 Haifa University);
- Literature and creative writing: Ronit Matalon (2016 Haifa University);
- Amir Oryan acting technique – The Open Circle: Shelly Goral (2011-2012);
- Voice: Etty Ben-Zaken (2014) Ruth Weider-Magan (2012 School of Visual Theatre, Jerusalem), Yael Wagner (2003);
- Piano: Eli Kalman (2000-2002), Eran Zvirn (2004-2007).
- Arranged classical and popular music for chamber ensembles and choirs.
- Sound editing and production
- Video Editing
- Performed live and in studio recordings as a keyboard player and singer.
- 2016-2019 – Instructing students in music theory and ear training in Haifa University;
- 2014-2019 – Choir instruction and conducting in independent vocal groups and theatre productions at Harduf Highschool;
- 2007-2019 – Private lessons in piano, voice and musical theory.
Scholarships and Prizes
- Four Excellency Scholarships – Haifa University (2013-2018);
- Acum support grant for the album "06:28" (2013)
- Music performance Scholarship – Haifa University (2016);
- Second prize in the Itay Weiner Composition Competition for the piece Bo-Zmaniyut (2015).
- Acum support grant for the album "Talya Eliav sings Barbara" (2017)
- Participation in Biennale College Musica, Venice, Italy (2019)
- Baruch Luzato grant for artists working in the north of Israel (2019)
- Grant for Independent Artists by the Ministry of Culture, Israel (2019)